Fortunately, the same revolutionary COOLIEF* Cooled RF Pain Management System with documented pain relief in segments of the spine is now available to target and treat sensory branches of the obturator and femoral nerves innervating the hip joint.
COOLIEF* Cooled RF Now Configured for Obturator and Femoral Neurotomy
“In our experience, percutaneous radiofrequency lesioning of the sensory branches of the nerves innervating the hip joint can be an option for patients with intractable hip joint pain”4
An estimated 7% of men and 10% of women over the age of 45 suffer from chronic hip joint pain, primarily caused by degeneration of the articular cartilage due to injury or disease. When rest, anti-inflammatory drugs or physical therapy fail to address the pain of osteoarthritis (OA) of the hip, the only remaining solution is total hip replacement for over 400,000 patients a year who progress to this invasive surgical intervention.
However, hip replacement procedures are costly, and there exists a large demographic of chronic joint pain patients who are not candidates for invasive procedures due to BMI, age, other co-morbidities or an unwillingness to undergo major surgery.
COOLIEF* Cooled RF:
- Clinical studies of COOLIEF* Cooled RF addressing other sources of pain have demonstrated up to 24 months pain relief with improved physical function and a reduction in pain medication usage.2
- Designed to treat complicated and variable nerve course such as the articular innervation of the hip through the creation of large volume, shperical lesions.
- Distal lesion projection allows for a familiar perpendicular approach to the target nerves, potentially resulting in reductins to procedure time and fluoroscopic exposure.
Studies show that when COOLIEF* Cooled RF is performed on other joints with osteoarthritis:
- Physical function is significantly improved3
- Pain and disability are decreased3
- Drug utilization is reduced3
Coolief Hip Cooled RF – Animated Video
Instructions for Use:
- COOLIEF Cooled Radiofrequency (RF) Kit
- COOLIEF Multi-Cooled Radiofrequency Module
- COOLIEF RF Nitinol Probe and RF Generator Connector Cable
- COOLIEF RF Peristaltic Pump Unit
- COOLIEF RF Probe and RF Generator Connector Cable
- COOLIEF SINERGY Cooled Radiofrequency (RF) Kit
- COOLIEF TRANSDISCAL Cooled Radiofrequency (RF) Y-Connector Cable
- COOLIEF TRANSDISCAL Cooled Radiofrequency (RF) Kit
1 MedTech Insights: U.S. Market for Joint Replacement and Reconstruction, June 2011.
2 Stelzer W. MD, Use of Radiofrequency Lateral Branch Neurotomy for the Treatment of Sacroiliac Joint-Mediated Low Back Pain: A Large Case Series. Pain Medicine,2013 Jan (1)29-35.
3 Malik, A. et al. Percutaneous Radiofrequency Lesioning of Sensory Branches of the Obturator and Femoral Nerves for the Treatment of Non-Operable Hip Pain. Pain Physician. 2003;6:499-502
4 Rivera, F. et al. Percutaneous Radiofrequency Denervation in Patients With Contraindications for Total Hip Arthroplasty. Orthopedics, 2012 35:3, e302-e305