How to Spot a Drug-Seeking Patient
When patients visit their physicians complaining about chronic pain, most expect to be prescribed opioids to fix any physical discomfort. However, it is crucial for physicians to habitually consider long-term care solutions as opposed to prescribing opioids that can only yield short-term pain relief. In addition to causing addiction, there are other opioid-related dangers like nausea/vomiting, drowsiness, constipation, and respiratory depression1.
In the article, Countering the Opioid Epidemic with Alternative Pain Management Regimens, Dr. Chen explores:
- Effects of the opioid epidemic
- Identifying drug-seeking patients
- Handling patients requesting medication
- Alternative chronic pain management solutions
1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4418642/ Click Here